Sep 15 2013
More updates on TacRead ...
* The team applied for a project (almost a year ago) based on the work by TacRead. Two weeks back, they got a R&D grant from DST.
* Orginial founders Pranay and Anshul trained three of their juniors (Ankit, Pulkit and Dhruv) who will continue their work.
* Apart from Indian patent, we have now filed a PCT based on their work.
* It has been decided to transfer the refreshable Braille cell technology to Phoenix Medical Systems, Chennai with whom we already have a joint translational research project.
* Along with Phoenix, Kritikal (a successful IITD startup) and Saksham Trust (an organization working towards empowerment of visually challenged), we have now applied for a translational grant to Wellcome
* Since above - After transitioning both Pranay and Anshul are at MIT pursuing advanced programs.
15 Feb 2013
IITD Innovation Award Core Team meets TacRead inventors
Anshul Singhal and Pranay Jain are the core inventors of TacRead’s actuation technology. They have developed TacRead and have been leading the prototyping and user-testing activities of the project. Prof. P. V. Madhusudhan Rao and Prof. M.
Balakrishnan are senior faculty members at Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi and are leading the Assistive Technologies Group at the institute. They are guiding and supervising the development process.
More details on their website are at TacRead,
8 June 2012 (From firstname.lastname@example.org)
Portable Braille Reader wins the Class of 89 Innovation Award
We are pleased to announce that the student team of Pranay Jain and Anshul
Singhal have won the inaugural Class of 89 Innovation Award for their
innovative idea & prototype: Portable Braille Reader. The winning team will
receive Rs. 2 lac cash award. This award was instituted by the Alumni
Class of 89 to foster practical innovation at IIT Delhi and is open to all
registered students at IIT Delhi. The inaugural award is dedicated in the
memory of two Class of 89 Alumni Samir Anand and Partha Niyogi who
exemplified traits this award recognizes: the ability to take intellectual
risk, rise above bookish learning, and apply knowledge to solve practical
Portable Braille Reader applies innovative solutions to offer an affordable
and portable device to help visually impaired read. The student team of
Pranay Jain and Anshul Singhal have worked through numerous iterations
under the able guidance of Dr. P. V. Madhusudan Rao and Dr. Kshitij Gupta
to develop a working prototype. 20 teams applied for the award this year,
of which 5 were shortlisted for final presentation an eminent Judging
Committee consisting of IIT Delhi faculty members, distinguished alumni,
and industry leaders selected the Portable Braille Reader as the winner of
In addition to this award, the Institute also wishes to give out SP Sharma
Memorial Seed Grants of Rs 25, 50, and 75 thousands to promising ideas on
practical innovation. Application for seed grants will remain open; we
invite students to apply throughout the year. More information on the award
and grants is available at: http://www.iitdinnovationaward.org
Prof. Santanu Chaudhury (Dean,UGS) & Prof. Ambuj Sagar (Dean, AAIP)
2012 Finalists - In no particular order:
Copyright 2011 IITD Class of 89 Innovation Award. All rights reserved.